Green Borscht is a popular dish in Eastern European cuisine that uses Sorrel for it’s fresh and tangy taste. Sorrel is full of vitamins that boosts immunity and can aid digestion. Follow these steps for a healthy and tasty bowl of Green Borscht!
- 30g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 large potato, diced
- 700ml of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g spinach, roughly chopped
- 50g sorrel, roughly chopped
- 50g parsley leaves, chopped
- 50g dill, chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 egg (boiled, cooled and chopped)
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, and fennel seeds and sweat down for 7 minutes or until soft.
- Add the stock with the diced potato and bay leaf and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and sorrel and simmer further for 5 minutes.
- Add three-quarters of the dill and parsley, then remove from the heat.
- Add meat of choice (optional).
- Taste and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped egg, sour cream, and remaining herbs.
Source: The Kitchen with Great British Chefs